Category Archives: Microsoft

Change Users Office 365 Email (SMTP Address)

While reviewing users in Office 365 I noticed that some of the users had incorrect email addresses. Rather than using our companies email domain name they were using the Microsoft email domain (domain.onmicrosoft.com), In order to change the email domain (primary SMTP) address for these users I had to Connect to Exchange Online and run a few commands through PowerShell.

Due to the environment setup I could not change the primary SMTP address through the web portal. This is the error I received when trying (which is expected based on our setup):

The operation on mailbox “Jon Smith” failed because it’s out of the current user’s write scope. The action ‘Set-Mailbox’, ‘EmailAddresses’, can’t be performed on the object ‘Jon Smith’ because the object is being synchronized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your on-premises organization.

To connect to Office 365 (Exchange Online) following the instructions (or click here for the official Microsoft article – Connect to Exchange Online):

Step 1) Open PowerShell (as administrator) and run the following command:

$UserCredential = Get-Credential

Step 2) Sets the PowerShell environment for your Office 365 tenant:

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Step 3) Sets your PowerShell session to use Microsoft Exchange Online:

Import-PSSession $Session

Step 4) Change your users email address (Primary SMTP) from [email protected] to [email protected]:

Set-Mailbox username -WindowsEmailAddress [email protected]

Step 5) Check the mailbox by running the following command:

Get-Mailbox -Identity [email protected]

Step 6) Disconnect your PowerShell session from Exchange Online:

Remove-PSSession $Session

If you have any questions or see an error please let me know. If you are looking for more  around PowerShell and Office 365 check here: http://powershell.office.com/

VMware Workstation bridged networking stopped working

For many people using VMware Workstation they should be aware of an issue which occurs after updating Windows 10 to the new Windows 10 Anniversary. In fact I have run across this issue with other major Windows 10 updates.

After performing a major update to Windows 10 VMware Workstation’s VMnet0 is removed. The removal of VMnet0 breaks the network connection for guest Virtual Machines. To repair connectivity for the guest Virtual Machines you can add a new virtual network or set the Virtual Network back to their default settings. If you set the VMware Workstation network back to default settings you will lose any and all custom networks.

How to fix bridged networking in VMware Workstation after applying Windows 10 update (Threshold 2)

How to fix bridged networking in VMware Workstation after upgrading to Windows 10

VMware Workstation Bridge Network failure after upgrade to Windows 10

Last night I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro x64 workstation to Windows 10 Pro x64. When I launched VMware Workstation 11 and ran my Virtual Machines I discovered that the Virtual Machines lost their network connectivity.

Searching the web I discovered that upgrading to Windows 10 removed VMnet0 Virtual Adapter that VMware Workstation uses for the Bridged Network Mode.

To resolve the issue I had to modify the Virtual Network Settings by accessing the “Virtual Network Editor” from the “Edit” menu option within VMware Workstation. I then selected “Change Settings” and proceeded to “Restore Defaults.” Restoring Defaults will remove and re-install the default VMware Workstation Network settings in turn restoring VMnet0 Bridged Network Connections.

If you have customized your Virtual Network in anyway shape or form I would not recommend restoring the defaults. If you absolutely have to Restore to Defaults make sure you take note of the customized settings.

Fixing Windows Error code 13EC (Windows Update KB2901983)

The other day I built a Virtual Machine to test errors I experienced in Outlook 2010. I applied the latest Windows Updates to the Virtual Machine however when I was prompted to update .NET 4.5.2 (KB2901983) I received the error code 13EC.

To resolve the Windows Update error code 13EC for KB2901983 I had to expand the virtual drive. My Virtual Machine had roughly 2 GB free prior to applying the update so I expanded the virtual disk by 5 GB and the update applied successfully.

If you have a physical machine then the issue is likely your C drive (operating system drive) is either full or to small.

Microsoft answers.microsoft.com has a related post: click here.